At Gumdrops, our philosophy is based on the values of:
Integrity Respect Trust Empathy
Compassion Curiosity Creativity
Playfulness Initiative Mindfulness
We apply these values by:
- Respecting that family is first! By providing a mixed-age group environment we encourage relationships similar to those within a family
- Supporting children’s playfulness, curiosity and creativity with environments that are positive, nurturing, safe and stimulating.
- Encouraging relationships based on trust, empathy and compassion that develop partnership between teachers, families/whanau and children and recognise this partnership as vital for children’s education.
- Acknowledging that we are all both learners and teachers (regardless of age, experience or background) who bring valuable knowledge and skills to share through responsive and reciprocal interactions. This is called AKO
- Being mindful that play is the best way for young children to learn. This means that their learning is self-chosen and self-directed, they are motivated by the process rather than the product and they are free to choose whether or not to be involved.
- Respecting the partnership between both treaty partners in New Zealand and provide a curriculum that incorporates the values of Maori and all other cultures
- Providing a programme of learning that is consistent with the Principles, Strands and Goals of Te Whāriki.
- Employing adults who display integrity, initiative and mindfulness by being true to our values, thinking creatively and being able to be fully present in the moment.
- Supporting each other in all areas of our work, including professional development and respecting each person as a valued member of the Gumdrops whanau.
‘Mā te tuakana ka tōtika te teina, mā te teina ka tōtika te tuakana’
‘From the older sibling the younger one learns the right way to do things, and from the younger sibling the older one learns to be tolerant’