At Gumdrops we believe:
‘Mā te tuakana ka tōtika te teina, mā te teina ka tōtika te tuakana’
- Family is first! By providing a mixed-age group environment we encourage relationships similar to those within a family.
- Children thrive in environments that are positive, nurturing, safe and stimulating.
- Education is a partnership between teachers, families/whanau and children.
- Children benefit from having highly qualified and professional teachers, who are caring and sensitive to children’s needs.
- Children learn through responsive and reciprocal relationships with teachers and other adults. This is called AKO.
- Play is the best way for young children to learn. This means that their learning is self-chosen and self-directed, they are motivated by the process rather than the product and they are free to choose whether or not to be involved.
- All children in Aotearoa – New Zealand have the right to an education that reflects and values our Bi-cultural heritage and our increasingly multicultural society.
- In providing a programme of learning that is consistent with the goals of Te Whāriki.
- Teachers thrive when they are supported in all areas of their work, encouraged in their professional development and are respected as valued members of a team.
‘From the older sibling the younger one learns the right way to do things, and from the younger sibling the older one learns to be tolerant’